Subdomains in the TUnet
For organisational reasons the domain tuwien.ac.at is divided into subdomains. Usually the subdomain name is a common abbreviation of the institute name.
Advantages of this structure include:
- the name choice for computers within the subdomain is easier
- you can set up services for users with speaking names, e.g.
- mail addresses of the form firstname.lastname@example.org can be realized
- when using Microsoft operating systems and the NetBios protocol (both native and NetBios over TCP/IP), this subdomain name can or should be selected as workgroup name or Microsoft domain name.
- the host part of the IP name is automatically used as the Netbios name (this host part should also be unique, for example subdxxx.subd.tuwien.ac.at)
Conferences and projects
- Web presences/servers for conferences have their place either in the subdomain of the organizer or in the subdomain conf.tuwien.ac.at.
- Web presences/servers for projects have their place either in the subdomain of the organizer or in the subdomain project.tuwien.ac.at.
New subdomains are set up for working groups when there is a justified need, existing subdomains can be renamed after checking the necessity. The changeover does not have to be carried out in one step, but can be done on a sliding scale. Old names can remain valid for a transitional period as so-called alias entries. MX (Mail-Exchanger) entries are also possible for a better transition.
© TU Wien
Ticketsystem Online Portal, opens an external URL in a new window
Hotline 01 588 01 42002
1040 Wien, Operngasse 11, EG
The Service Center can be reached digitally from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Personal customer contact only by prior appointment, opens an external URL in a new window.
Compliance with the currently applicable COVID-19 security regulations is assumed.