E020-03 - Service Unit Communications
The task of the Service Unit Communications is to provide the basic services of IT infrastructure for the Vienna University of Technology.
The main focus is on:
- Operation of the necessary space for the IT infrastructure (computer and distribution rooms) and equipment (cabinets and equipment, power supply, ...).
- Operation of the efficient local network of the TU Wien (TUnet) up to the sockets in the institute and server rooms. This includes the networking of the data centres.
- Operation of the WLAN infrastructure in the buildings of the Vienna University of Technology.
- Connection of Vienna University of Technology to the Internet, including basic security services.
- Support the institutes in questions of security and in specific fault situations.
Operation of the monitoring and logging systems for monitoring TU.it systems.
Operation of basic network applications (Name- and Timeserver, Radius Validation Server, TUnet Database).
The most important requirement for operation, in particular of the network, is a stable and efficient 7x24 service. As active support is only possible 5x8 due to the available personnel resources, great importance is attached to redundancies at all levels.